I cannot believe that at one point I was considering moving all my domains over to GoDaddy1. Their management interface is confusing to the point that I believe it's intentionally confusing, so that you have a hard time figuring out exactly what charges you are incurring (there's no single page that shows all of your charges), and when such charges will incur. When you do get one of those annoying $2.95 charges, there's no indication on the bill as to what it was for. Well, no more! I finally bit the bullet, transferred the domains, and began trying to figure out how to cancel my account.
Like I Said, They Don't Make It Easy
I looked and looked, and found no way to cancel my account. Searching their online help system for "cancel account" turned up nothing useful. I resorted to emailing their "tech support" - here's the response I got, which is little more than a map through their convoluted system - hope it helps someone else out!
How to Cancel Your Account
The following is an email I received from GoDaddy, regarding my inquiry to cancel all services:
Unfortunately Go Daddy cannot completely remove a customer account from our system for legal reasons. However, you can use the instructions below to cancel all products or services for this account, remove all payment methods from this account, and turn off all opt-in email notifications. Company policy restricts Go Daddy Customer Support representatives from making changes to customer accounts or services on behalf of the customer. You will need to make this change from within your account.
To cancel all products and services, follow the directions below:
First, log into your customer account:
- Go to the GoDaddy Account Login Page
- Log in using your account username (which may be the same as your customer number) and password
If you have trouble logging in, our password reset form may help you. You can find this form through the following link: Account Retrieval Page
Once you have logged in to your account, follow the steps below to cancel:
- Select 'Payments and Renewing Items' from the 'Renewals & Upgrades' menu.
- Check the box next to the item(s) you would like to cancel and click on the 'Cancel Item' button.
- Select 'Cancel Now' or 'Cancel at Expiration Date' in the menu that appears to the right.
- Click on 'Save Changes'.
* Canceling now will immediately remove the service from your account. If you choose to "Cancel at Expiration Date" the service will remain active until the date specified and will not be renewed.
Please use the below instructions to remove a payment method from our system. Note that there must be no products or services in our system which are currently linked to that payment method before you can remove it.
- Select 'Credit Card & Payment Info' from the 'My Account' menu
- Select the radio button next to the desired payment method in the list.
- Click the 'Deactivate Payment Method' button.
- If there are any products or services currently associated with this item you will then be forced to move them to another payment method before you can continue.
- After moving any products or services to another payment method, click the 'Save Changes' button.
You can choose not to receive email notices by updating your customer account settings. Follow the directions below:
- Select 'Account Settings' from the 'My Account' menu.
- Click on the "Email Preference Information" link.
- Go through the choices and select your preference for each.
- When you are done, click on the green "Save Changes" button.
You can also use the "UNSUBSCRIBE" link found at the bottom of all the notices that we send out.
1Note that sometimes you want to link to a website, but you don't want that link to count for anything in terms of Search Engine value (as search engines use the total number of inbound links to a website in their ranking algorithms). To still link to a site, but not pass any SEO relevance onto it, or even to have it count as a vote against the website you are linking to, you can use the vote-link and rel-nofollow microformats, as I did with the links to the GoDaddy home page:
<a href="http://godaddy.com" rel="nofollow" rev="vote-against" title="GoDaddy site">GoDaddy</a>
Offensive comments will not be posted, and if you can't spell, well then that won't be posted either. Cheers.